Thursday, October 20, 2011

Road-tripping to Hawaii

I would like to start with this photo, because, it shows how Hawaiian life truly is. Everyday you get a pedicure from the sandy beaches. The sun gives you a tan. The temperature is a constant 85 degrees. The gardens are exquisite with tropical flowers. The main transportation is by bike or scooter. We live only 4 miles from Ted's work. And inspiration abounds. Doesn't this sound incredible? Ha ha...well, that is what life is like for the tourists, but when you are a local, of course you could enjoy all those things, but you are too busy trying to keep up with life. In fact, this photo was taken the day before we opened Ted's store. Since then, two weeks ago, we've done nothing but work our tails off. Okay, Ted has worked his tail off. I've stayed home and written and read my little heart out. And, for all you tourists coming to Hawaii this year, make sure you eat your vitamins before you come, because I've been sick. Twice. Right now I have a terrible fever, and since I can't concentrate enough to write in my novel, I am blogging. Maybe this is nature's way of telling me to slow down. Ha ha...I don't like it. I try to keep up with Ted's fast pace, but I can't.
These next two photos come from New Mexico. We went on a huge road trip from West Yellowstone, Montana, to Compton, California. Then off to St. Louis on I-10 and Route 66. After St. Louis, we came back on I-70 until we reached Blackfoot, Idaho. You might be asking yourself why we decided to go on a crazy road trip just ten days before we flew out to Hawaii. It was for a writer's conference in St. Louis. Compton, CA got thrown in because we had to take the car to the shipping yard to be shipped to Hawaii. More on that insane experience later.
This is a photo of the back of our Venza. Yes, on our road trip, we stayed in the back of our car. It wasn't too bad. Really. We had an air mattress, with memory foam pad on top of it, with comfy blankets and pillows. And, Ted and I got to cuddle all night long. How sweet!
This is another sunset from New Mexico. All I can say is, NM definitely takes the cake when it comes to most beautiful sunsets from our trip. We were wowed so many times.
Cabela's in Alpine, Utah. We got our SUV air mattress here. For all you campers out there, the mattress fits perfectly! Loved it!
The beginning of the trip, we got to stop by and see my dear friend, Miriam. And her adorable little boys, Adney and Cammon. They are sooo cute, and social. Just like her. I am so sad we're not closer in proximity of living. We would hang out all the time. Love her!
Here they are, the two cuties. Miriam is going to have her hands full when they get to dating age!
Good Ol' Las Vegas. After driving for 14 hours, don't ask me why it took so long, from Blackfoot to Las Vegas, we got to spend the night with Adam, Ted's brother. He is finishing up his PA program in a couple weeks. We are so excited for him! He has put a ton of hard work into school, and will do awesome in his career. We spent half the night talking, until it was so late, none of us could stay awake. He was a great host. Thanks for letting us crash, Adam. And yes, we drove both the Mustang and Venza through Vegas and into Compton. Talk about fun!
We didn't take any pictures in California, because it was either, we were driving, or too scared to look at anyone. But, we made it out alive, and after driving another 14 hour day, 4 of those hours in South Compton, we made it to our old stomping grounds of Phoenix. Man, we love Phoenix. The city is awesome. It felt so good to be back. We spent the night with our friends, Summer and Trevor Heid. They are awesome! And, they are coming to visit us over Thanksgiving! Yea! :)
I don't know how Ted did it, but he got up at 5:30 in the morning, after staying up until 1 am, and surprised his old seminary class with doughnuts. His class has been split, so only half of them were there. But, he loved seeing them. Such incredible youth in the Surprise, AZ area. They are going to make amazing leaders someday.
Ted and Principal Lundberg. He gets up every day of the week, except weekends, and opens the doors at 5 am for seminary students. What a dedicated man. I am sure he will have numerous blessings in heaven for his faithful service.
We belong...we stopped at the Institute building in Glendale. It is so neat how you can walk into a dedicated building and just feel the spirit so strong. Love the spirit there.
We stopped by and saw Rosol and her sister Yosor. I used to work with Rosol at DownEast. We became very close friends. Like sisters. She is so inspiring and strong. I am one of the lucky people who got to know her story. But, she is going places. She will probably be president or something someday. Seriously.
The Venza. Love this car. Miss this car. So, we shipped the Mustang over, thinking that it would be sooo nice having a convertible in Hawaii. And it is. It's just, this whole summer we didn't see one other bright blue mustang on the streets. Then, we move to Hawaii, and there are tons! We literally see at least five a day. All convertibles, just like ours. Crazy! I guess we were going for unique, but didn't achieve that.
Ted with two of his employees from Verizon. We stopped by Cave Creek, AZ, and visited with them for a while. Great guys!
Okay, this tiny little place is literally called Jack Rabbit. I can't remember if it is in AZ or NM, but the one shop is so cute! We stopped because I had to go pee like a racehorse, but they didn't have a public restroom. Goods thing the next town is only 15 miles down the road.
I don't know why we didn't take more pictures across Texas and Oklahoma. Those states were beautiful. But, we made it to the ACFW Conference. It was awesome! As usual. The first conference we went to, I got a little freaked out by the christian rock music and hand lifting when they felt the spirit, but after living in AZ, and meeting so many wonderful people who were not of our faith, I've learned to be open to a lot more. I even found myself singing along with their songs.
We met so many wonderful people. Authors, editors, publishers, and fellow writers. This is one of the amazing people we met. Andy Meisenheimer. He is an editor. What a great guy. Ted made friends with so many people. And we saw people we knew from our first conference too. It was great.
All dressed up for the Gala. Dress is usually business casual, but on the night of the Gala, everyone dresses up. It it like a mini grammy or oscar's awards banquet. Except with authors. Ha ha. But, it is fun to dress up.
While in St. Louis, we took the time to skip out on some classes and spend our time around the city. It was great! We took an hour long carriage ride around St. Louis's downtown and had a blast. I convinced Ted to take me on the ride. He didn't have the best experience last time he was in one. I don't know. I think carriage rides might be cursed for us, because I got extremely sick about ten minutes into it. We had eaten at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse right before, and as most of you know, they are famous for their delicious food. I don't know if it was food poisoning or what, but I almost threw up on the ride. It was awful. The streets were packed with people at outdoor restaurants and people going to a Cardinal's game, so it wasn't like I could throw up where nobody was watching. But, I made it to the hotel room. Barely. As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, Ted told me to run. Which I did. All the way to the 12th floor room. Okay, not literally, the elevator took me up, but I ran to it, and to the room. As soon as I stepped through the hotel doors, an elevator closest to me unloaded a bunch of people and stood there empty. I darted in and road it up, almost losing my dinner from the motion. Then, as the doors opened, I sprinted to our room. I dropped everything at the door, and barely made it to the toilet. I'm sure most of you are thinking, "Way TMI," but, it was a memory maker, so I am writing about it. It took me all night, and half of the next day to get feeling better. I am way glad the Lord blessed me so that I made it to the bathroom though. Everything worked perfectly once I got off the carriage. It truly was a blessing. And, Ted got me ginger ale and sprite to keep my stomach more settled. What a sweetheart. Best husband ever. I'm glad he missed me throwing up though, because he usually laughs at me when I do.
This is Molly and Harry. They were the most pleasant hosts. Molly gave us all sorts of history, none of which I remember too well. And Harry pulled us without fault through the streets.
We also took advantage of the river boat. It was a blast!
Here is a picture of the full boat. It is an hour long tour, and the boat driver gives so much history abou the river, and St. Louis.
On the riverboat. We loved the view of the arch from the boat.
Sunset over the river.
The arch with our hotel behind it. I must say, the Hyatt is a legit hotel. We loved staying there. So did a ton of other people. There were three different conferences going on at the same time ours was, and the hotel was booked the whole time we were there, but you would never guess. The service is great, and everything runs smoothly.
My favorite shot of the arch, taken from our hotel. Love how the light is reflecting on one side, and the clouds are beautiful.
Ted was amazed at how strong and thick the arch was. I think most men are. When we were there, tons of guys would go up to the arch, knock on it, then take a push at it. Hilarious. Like they thought they could push it over. Men are so funny.
Breathtaking Boulder, CO. We stopped by Boulder and spent some quality time with my dear friend, Mariah. We are soul sisters. So much alike, but just enough different to keep each other guessing what the other person is thinking. We took a morning hike, and this was the view. Ha ha, Mariah said it was the easy hike, but it was a challenge. Especially for lazy bum me. But, well worth the thigh burning.
These mountains stand over Boulder. They are shaped like flat-irons. Very unique.
This is from the top of the hike. Some very intelligent person who knew that people like me would need a sit-down after a hike, made rock benches. Genius.
This photo brings tears to my eyes. This is at the Boise Airport. We are saying goodbye. My mom and Steve drove over with us, then took the Venza back to Blackfoot with them. Yes, there is a gold Alero, just like mine in front of the Venza. But no, it's not mine.
Love this photo. My mom and Steve just got engaged on Saturday. So, we will be coming back to Idaho for a wedding! Yippee! So excited for them.
Oh my gosh! This photo brings a smile to my downturned lips. We pulled up next to this dog in the driver's seat at our new bank in Hawaii. It seriously looks like the dog is driving the car. He sat there, like a statue, until his owner came back out. Too cool!
Okay, here is our liscense plate. It may look like it was a breeze getting it by the way Ted is holding it, but it was the biggest nightmare of our life. Not just getting the car registered in Hawaii (which you have to do before 10 days after it arrives in port), but also getting it onto the boat from California. This is where my story of Compton, CA comes in. For those of you, like me, who are from the sticks, and have never heard of Compton, this may be a little out there for you, but it's reality.
So, the drive from Blackfoot, ID to Horizon Lines in Compton, went so easy. Our GPS took us right from door to door. No wrong turns, even in South LA's crazy streets and freeways. There are so many! They all crisscross and zigzag. No rhyme or reason, but somehow get you to where you are going. Now, this whole time, I am following Ted. He is driving the Mustang. Top down. All the way from Idaho to California. Something he wanted to do. Crazy? I know. He got an awesome sunburn and some great windburn to prove that he did it though. I am driving the Venza, trying to follow him. Up until California, the drive had been mild. The freeway from Vegas to LA is like a raceway, and you drive 90 to 100 mph without worrying about being pulled over, because there is nothing but cars, and desert. I am so glad we didn't break down in that barren place. It would be terrible. But, we got into the city, and traffic started to get busy. Thank goodness the speed slowed down. Ted had his GPS, and I had mine. I don't know how, but our GPS's had us directed to go two different ways. Since Ted was in front, I followed. We started getting on and off different freeways, like four of them. And all of them we only went on for a couple miles. I started to worry. Especially since my GPS was telling me to turn around or take alternate routes. Traffic got heavy. A couple bottle necks formed. I was thanking my lucky stars I'd driven in Phoenix traffic. A few cars pulled between us, even though we only left enough room for one or two cars between us. Ted would slow down until the cars would pass. This left a long line of angry drivers behind me, who would pass, then pull right in front of me, which started the slowing process again. You get it. And, we would travel in the left lane, because it is the safest and least busy. But, merging through five lanes of traffic together was like trying to rope a bull in a rodeo. Sure, those stock contractors make it look easy, but it's not. So, we merged, changed highways, slowed traffic, and then found the right exit. The GPS took us to Horizon Lines flawlessly, even though it had us going all over the place.
We went inside the building. They had our reservations, and everything was ready to go. We thought we'd done it. Made it there at the exact hour we planned, and were going to be out of there before rush hour. We were wrong. The last question they asked us was, "Do you have under a quarter tank of gas?" We didn't. Even though we filled up in Vegas, we still had a half tank. The lady suggested we drive around for a while, empty the tank. But, with a car that gets over 30 mpg, that would take a while. Like a drive back to Vegas. Then she suggested we just syphon the gas. She told us there was a Home Depot down the street, and they would have everything we needed. And, there was also a car shop who would do it for $45. Well, Ted being the DIYer, went for Home Depot. We were off.
We got all the supplies for $20, under the price of the car shop, and were feeling pretty good about things. Other than the few remarks from locals saying, "Oh, white boy gonna get us back. I seen this trick here before. Yep. Just don't get my car. It's the Cadillac, in the parking lot."
Ha ha. These people were hilarious. So, we drove back to Horizon Lines, and stuck the hose down the gas tank. It went in quite well, until we hit something. The hose stopped. Ted tried to push it in, but it wouldn't budge. He blew in the end of the hose to see if it was the bottom of the tank, and gas would come out, but nothing. He pushed harder. Nothing. This wasn't going to work. So, he pulled. It wouldn't come out either. The dang thing was stuck. And, since we'd pulled on it, the gas flap had tightened so much we couldn't even get it back in. Frustrated, Ted went inside and asked for some scissors. This took a while, because the people were afraid what he might do with them. But, they finally gave him some. We cut the hose, returned the scissors, and got directions to the nearest service shop.
The directions the people gave us were wrong. The address was wrong. We were lost in a sea of warehouses. To make it worse, semi trucks with huge trailers, and pimped out cars surrounded us. People would stare as we pulled up next to them at lights. Stare at us like we didn't belong there. We didn't. At first, I thought maybe we stood out with our smoked lights and tinted windows, but soon found out, be fit right in. The cars were either brand new, with nice wheels, tinted windows, and pipes, or old, falling apart, and smoking from their tailpipes.
We found the service cente after some searching around the area. But, the supposed service center was a gas station, with a McDonald's. Didn't know McDonald's counted for car service. Frustrated, we called Horizon Lines. They told us they thought we only wanted a gas station. Then, they gave us the name of the car shop. The ones who do the syphoning for $45. It was our last resort. We typed in the address, and the GPS took us right to the address. Only, this address was on the complete opposite side of Compton. We'd just driven about eight miles through downtown Compton to the wrong address. So, Ted looked up the name of the car shop on the internet and found the address was the exact same we'd just driven to. Luckily, there was a phone number. He called. A hispanic man answered, with a thick accent. Ted got directions. His shop was on the other side of the same road, ten miles away. We turned around, and set off. The man gave us a description of the shop. White, roadside. At the light before the school on the left. We found it. His shop was completely South American. It was literally an open car shop. Everything was open to the road, and his five hundred sqaure foot shop was full of tools, grease, and used tires. It smelled like gas and smoke. But, Ted got us pulled up, and the man began his work, alternating three customers at the same time. Quite a talent, if you ask me, but time consuming. We had wasted two hours driving around, and the shipping yards closed in an hour. Time was something we didn't have. I stayed in the car, afraid to get out with so many scary looking people driving around and walking by. The car guy put me to work. He had to open the fuel injector from inside the hood, connect a hose, then have me turn on the car so that the gas would go into the hose. I started the car. The hose flew off. Gas blew all over the hot engine that had been driving for the last seven hours. The man got covered in gas. He kept his wits though, grabbed an air compressor, and began blowing the gas off the hot engine. The smell of gas got worse. It filled my nose, and made me gag. Between the poluted hot air, and gas, it was all I could do not to choke. Ted, standing outside the car, watching things unravel, got nervous. Since he knows Spanish from his mission, he could understand the chaos between the man and another worker. They were freaking out that the engine was going to start on fire. So, the shop man asked us, in broken English, to exit the car, and wait on the other side of the building. They didn't want and explosion with me in the car, or Ted nearby. Now, they needed to let the car sit for a while, to make sure it wasn't going to explode. The other side of the buidling was covered in a make-shift lean-to, and a dog barked behind the thin wooden fence that seperated the shop from a house. We sat on two mismatched chairs, one black, computer desk chair, leaning to one side, and ripped cushion. The other was a bar stool chair. No cushion. Ted took the tall chair. I took the small one. As I sat, I felt the chair lean further, and kept my weight on my feet, just in case it decided to crumble.
Time ticked away. If we didn't have the car back to the port in thirty minutes, they would reject the drop off, and we would have to come back the next day. I kept myself busy by checking emails and Facebook. Ted also played on his phone. We didn't dare look up at the faces staring at the two white people with American Eagle Clothes on. Never before have I felt more out of place. And, we were in America.
The school let out for the day next to us. Kids and parents of all ages honed in the block like wasps. As students walked by the shop with us sitting in the back, hunched over, eyes not making long eye contact, they summed us up. Like animals do before they start a fight over hunting territories. But this time, I knew I had the underhand. These people knew how to fight like I knew how to ride a horse. It was born into them. You could see it in their eyes.
Another twenty minutes passed. The shop man came over, and this time, in Spanish, told us our car was ready. He'd gotten the gas out, all of it, and had to put some back in. We'd be running on fumes. In order to get the hose out of the gas tank, he charged us an extra $10. A small price to pay for freedom, I thought. We paid the man in cash, and left with the car, hoping it wouldn't decide to send us to our graves on our drive back to the port. Luckily, the car had less than a gallon in it. Probably half a gallon, since it gave us a range of 16 miles before it was out.
We got back to the port with five minutes to spare. The rest of the inspection went great. And, with the Venza refilled with the Mustang gas, we headed east. I have never been so happy to head away from the ocean in my life. It was also nice having Ted at the wheel. Driving was exhausting, and I was ready for a break. And, the rest is history. We made 4000 mile journey without fail in the Venza. What an amazing car. If anyone is looking for a dependable, safe, economical car, the Venza should be at the top of your list.
Oh, and as for registering the Mustang. Let's just say, it took over a week. Glad we started the process as soon as we got the car here, because it was a long one. Safety inspection. Emissions. Taxes. Titles. Shipping docs. Then registration. Let's just say, we became great friends with the people who run the car registration system in Hawaii. And, we almost had to take off all our tint, after Ted had just spent over $700 on it three weeks before. But, we found an awesome shop that hooked us up. We owe them big time!
And, here is beautiful Hawaii. The first picture from my phone. We have made it to the West side of the island, and are on our way to Lahaina, where we will be living for the next nine months. At least.
I don't think life can get any better than this. We truly are in paradise.
The view from our apartment. We are actually renting an apartment right now. But, we are buying one in Lahaina, right on famous Front Street! So excited to be in the middle of the action, and walking distance to all the best shops, and Ted's work.
Yes, I made it. Proof.
We had a poolside BBQ. I miss these lazt days. For a week after we flew in, we were waiting on Ted's product he'd shipped from West Yellowstone. We needed it before we could open the store. So, we had some time to enjoy life in Hawaii before we jumped into the rat race.
Perfect night for a stroll on the beach. I spend most of my nights watching the sun go down since we live on the west side of Maui. I miss Ted on these nights, because he is so busy working his store. I never have met anyone who works so hard. He puts in 14 hour day every day. Never complains once.
We took a dip. So did my Thunderbolt 4G cell phone. This was a sad night. Even though I am smiling, I am dying inside. So, we went out to go boogie boarding. And, a lady told us a special spot once we got to the shore. It was down the shore about 70 feet. We decided that instead of walking back around the building the created a barrier, we would just walk the shoreline. Well, if any of you have been to Lahaina, it is known for its black rock for a reason. Sure, there's a sandy beach, but it's under water most of the time where we live, and the waves crash up against lava rock. Slippery, mossy, lava rock.
Now, I brought my cell phone, because I love to take pictures with it. And, this was the first time we'd gotten in the water. And, Ted was sure to create a great piture with the sunset and ocean as the backdrop. I also have my towel, as you see me sitting on in this picture. And, my flip flops in my hands. So, a lot of stuff. We get a few steps away from the railing, our destination, and a huge wave comes in, washing my feet out from underneath me. I go down. Well, sort of. I crash into the rocks and drop one of my flip flops. The wave water starts to drain back out to the ocean, taking my day old Reef flip flops with it. So, I dive into the rocks to get it before it gets over the rock terrain, and into the free ocean. As I lean down to grab it, another wave, bigger than the last one, hits me in the back. I go down. All the way down this time. Face first. Into the rocks.
I've got my flip flop, but I lost my other one, and my phone is underwater, because my hand is stopping my fall on the rocks, which are submerged. I yank my hand out of the water, upset I'd chosen to save my face instead of my cell phone to the rocks. Guess human nature took over.
Ted is standing by, getting quite the dunking himself. But, he was smart. His cell phone is tucked away in the apartment, and the only thing he has in his hands is the boogie board. He sees my panic and comes to help. I now realize there is a young couple standing on the steps, asking me if I am okay. The fall must've looked worse than it felt. I mumble a yes, and Ted tries to help me, my soaked towel, two flip flops (yes, I got the other one back too, despite the sneaky ocean), and cell phone. Ted realizes what happened to the phone and goes to work, taking off the cover, and out the battery. To his surprise, the battery is dry. I have hope the phone it okay. But, we leave it for a day just to make sure. When I put the battery back in, the phone is all good, alive. I estatic. Then, I see a problem. The headphone icon is on, which means the sound is ruined, and my phone is water damaged. So, we sent it off to a water damage place, and hope it comes back fixed. Keep your fingers crossed with me, because I've been using my old Droid, and it is so much slower than my new one. Guess I can't complain though. It was my fault after all.
And, I learned a lesson about the ocean. Waves come in cycles. If the water looks calm on the shoreline, but you see/hear waves further down the shore, don't put yourself in compromising situations, because those high waves will be knocking on your back right when you have it turned away, thinking you're safe.

The view from our apartment. You get a peak at the ocean,
This is in the post office parking lot. Don't you wish your post office parking lot looked like mine?
Sunset
Another sunset
Yes, I love sunsets
Yea! The store! Product finally came. If you ever find yourself in need to ship something to Hawaii, give it 6-8 weeks to get here, no matter what the post office promises.
So, this is the second day putting the store together. We had tons of work to do. It used to be a Sunglass Hut, so it has awesome slatwall, but not enough display. So, we put up pegboard to help us out. And, we got a new store name! Yippee! Custom Cellular looked boring. Nobody came in the store when we had the signs up. So, we changed the sign, and decided to sticker up the store with a Hawaiian theme. It's worked quite well.
Our first customer. We started getting people interested in product before our doors even opened once we changed the sign. Amazing what marketing can do.
Ted has been stickering up the store. People love to customize things here. So, we sell lots of stickers. :)
Ted made this display today. He's so creative!
And that, my dear friends, is our life, up to date. Hope everyone is happy, healthy, and wise. We sure love and miss all of you! Thank you to everyone who welcomed us into your homes, and lives. We appreciate your kindness. You're the best!

3 comments:

Valeen said...

Wow! What a fantastic adventure. Thanks for sharing. And I loved the harvest pics too! Amazing. Love you guys!

Sara Sargent Williams said...

I love Maui! Glad you are doing well and having fun! At some point make sure you get to Mama's Fish House it is Paia. So amazing and gorgeous! Have fun!

Brooke said...

you have had some SERIOUS adventures! they all look like so much fun (other than the car almost exploding) I'm excited to see what other adventures hawaii will bring :)