Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ted's Birthday

Ted has literally been waiting for over a year for a surround sound and Bluray DVD player, so I splurged for his birthday and got him both.
I literally sent Ted to get his own present at Sam's Club, right before they closed. We stayed up and installed the system, then watched a movie. It makes a big difference having the speakers.
I am sure this is totally safe.

Sedona Road Trip...we went on a road trip for Ted's birthday and had a blast. We went up the old HWY 89 through a bunch of small towns, and it was gorgeous! Definitely a must for everyone who lives in Arizona!
The breathtaking red rock in Sedona. It is incredible how large these rocks are.
This restaurant was recommended to us by our friends, Sarah and Brenton, so we decided to check it out. We were beyond pleased...great service and delicious food! The view is worth mentioning as well.
We stopped by a bed and breakfast to see their amazing artwork. We found them online and plan on going back to stay, but we only had time to check the place out. The people who own Sunset Chateau were more than gracious. We toured the grounds and rooms, and plan on going back soon to enjoy the beauty of the place. Here are a couple pictures of the views from the B&B.


People from all around the world come to Sedona because they believe it is a spiritual place for healing and rejuvenation. Sedona is where there are several "lay lines" intersecting on the earth, so there is energy, both coming in and going out.

The Native Americans also believe that Sedona is a spiritual place.
On our road trip, we found a curious little town called Jerome, built into the mountainside. The homes literally line the side of the hills. It reminds me of Park City, but much older, and less touristy. But, Jerome is a cute little old mining town. They have a beautiful hotel perched at the top of the hillside, and it over looks the Verde Valley. Very beautiful. I didn't get many pictures, because we were driving.
We stopped by this old mining/ghost town just outside of Jerome. Basically, there was a lot of old junk piled everywhere, but it was fun anyway. Ted found himself a school house. He is getting excited to start teaching early morning seminary next week.


This ghost town had tons of old Studebaker's...they must collect them.
We thought this was quite the funny advertisement for a dentist. I don't think a dentist visit is ever painless. Maybe they knew secrets back then that we don't know now.
I think someone still lives in this old home, even though it is in the ghost town village.

We loved this little opening of the valley just before the mountain ended.

The rocks were beautiful...pictures don't do justice.





There is green in Arizona, and lots of it! We found some of the most beautiful forests on our drive leading up to Prescott. It had been raining, so we rolled down our windows and smelled the fresh air. I have never smelt anything so wonderful! We could smell the trees, plants, and dirt, all mixed together into a potion of goodness. It was great!


There is this valley called Peeples Valley, about an hour north of where we live, and when you drive into it, you forget you are just minutes away from the desert. This valley reminded us a lot of Idaho, and there were a few valleys and mountain ranges after it that reminded us of Western Idaho.
I had to take a picture of this, because it is the first pivot I have seen in Arizona, and there are actually cattle grazing in the lush fields of green grass. Absolutely incredible!
This ranch literally springs up out of the middle of nowhere. It is in the Peeple's Valley, and it looks like a scene from back east. There are huge trees lining the drive, race tracks, white barns, and horses in wooden paddocks. I made Ted stop so I could snap a few photos and imagine what it would be like to live there. After seeing this horse farm, it makes me wonder if this is where the horse came from that won the Kentucky Derby a few years back. Maybe we were right at the gate, and didn't even know we were that close to a horse so famous.

This is the cutest little animal clinic in Peeples Valley. We had to stop and take a picture.
As you can see, we had a wonderful trip, and Ted had a great birthday. Thank you everyone who wished Ted a Happy Birthday. He truly appreciated the thoughtfulness.
Time is passing by so quickly, almost too quickly. It feels like just yesterday Ted proposed to me, and that was 4 years ago (to the day of his birthday). Yes, I was his birthday present...good thing I said yes, huh? Love you Teddy!

3 comments:

Charity said...

Kaylee thanks for getting this blog up so quickly! I loved seeing all the sites of your road trip. I love the closeup of you and Ted, cute braids and your eyes are just crazy beautiful. Ted, you are such a corny picture poser. Love you! Happy birthday. Oh btw, I'm typing this on the new ACER netbook you got mom for her birthday, it's AWESOME, you are so generous!

Valeen said...

Layne and I drove through Sedona and Jerome during our honeymoon. It was fun to see your pictures and remember what a beautiful place it is. I'm glad you guys are taking advantage of the beautiful places all around you.

the garling ranch said...

Hey, I am still learning how to do this. We are excited to hear about the teaching experiences, and are excited to see Kaylee.