Thursday, August 22, 2013

New Hire Safety Trainer for MBI and moving to Medora North Dakota...best thing yet (aside from getting married in the temple and having baby Hesston)

Life has been extremely hectic since March. Ted got a job as a New Hire Safety Trainer for a company called MBI. And it has caused a huge ripple effect that has changed our lives.
Let's just say that being a "single mom" is the hardest thing I've ever experienced. At the beginning of our journey of "single hood", Hesston and I struggled at home while Ted struggled afar. It took a couple weeks before we got into a routine and found what worked for us. At home, instead of having Dad around to help with evenings, the TV became the distraction during food time. I'm regretting that one now, because Hesston will only eat solids when his favorite movie, Tangled, is on. And bath time usually ended up being cut short because I'd been trying to clean up the kitchen at the last minute. But, I did what I had to do...letting things slide a little so that we could all survive.
When we found a place to live in Medora, ND, we jumped at the opportunity. Ted and I can't believe how amazing it is "to be a real family again". After 6 months of being apart, we're finally together as a family. And even though rent on our 4 plex with less than 1000 square feet is 2000 dollars a month, it's worth it. We're praying we find a place that's cheaper to live in sooner than later, and that it's close to Ted's work here in Medora. Otherwise, we'll be living in our camp trailer, paying 600 dollars a month to rent a camp spot during the middle of winter.
As for North Dakota...I was terrified coming here. I've heard soooooooooo many (countless) horror stories about this place. Because of all the stories, I took a 7 week self-defense class, just to make sure I could protect myself. Oh, and I have my hand gun loaded. But, to my dismay, Medora and Dickinson are like any other town in the United States. In fact, Medora is probably one of the safest towns I've ever lived in. There are 3 cops that are constantly driving around town, and only 100 people live here. When I drive the big yellow truck, they follow me, just to make sure I'm not stirring up trouble. But when they see a girl with a baby, they must laugh to themselves. Clearly, I'm not a threat to their peace.
Dickinson is the closest town to Medora that has regular shopping districts (Wal Mart and a small mall). It's got around 20,000 people and growing. There's even a state university. As crazy as it sounds, North Dakota is safe and beautiful! With rolling hills, farmland, ranches, round bales of hay, cattle, buffalo, wild horses, and incredible sunsets. Of course you have the well/oil pump jacks/and fracking sites, but even they add to the landscape.
I'd forgotten what it was like to have a booming economy while I lived in Idaho, but North Dakota is booming with people from across the country. It's inspiring, and brings hope back into life. There are jobs of every kind/trade you can imagine. The biggest one would probably be construction related. But even health care and schools are in need of new employees. The town of Dickinson is bursting at it's seams, and more people are coming. I feel like I'm a part of a pioneering effort. Like North Dakota is the new "wild west". It's untamed country, but it's country full of rich soil.
We live in Medora. You can look it up on google maps and see that the town is located in the middle of a National Park. It's beautiful here. There are so many incredible rock formations, and the town has an "Old West" theme that's as bright and sunny as you can imagine. People are welcoming, friendly, and genuine. It doesn't matter where you're from, everyone is family, and they look out for each other. It's an incredible feeling.
Hesston has been sick this week, and the whole town knows about it. They've been asking about us, and when we went out today, people surrounded us to see how he was doing. I've never experienced anything like it. It feels like I've walked into a novel that's 100 years old, except we have all the modern conveniences. It's hard to describe, but the feeling is wonderful. I've never had a place feel instantly like home. But this place is hard not to call home once you've stepped onto the streets. It's no wonder people come here to visit. The spirit of this place is pure and refreshing from a gloomy world.
So, North Dakota has treated me well for the last two weeks. I'm anticipating the winter already. Although the temperatures are comparable to Idaho, I'm leery about being unprepared. So, I've been shopping for snowsuits for Hesston, hoping we can find him something warm enough, because most of the horror stories I've heard either include the frigid weather or terrible men. As for the men...it's like any other place. The women go shopping during the day while husbands are at work. They do all their family activities. Then in the evenings, they enjoy the company of their husbands. It's a simple way of life. You just have to use your logic when it comes to going out late at night, and always go in pairs. Nothing I haven't experienced before.
To answer the question of whether or not this move was worth it: It has been. For sure. Not only has it been wonderful for Hesston and I to be with Ted again, it's been great to break the myth of scary North Dakota. I know there are places you don't want to go (Williston, Minot, and a few other oil boom towns) without being cautious, but as for where we're at (2 hours away from any city), it's pretty safe.
I keep telling Ted that I appreciate all the horror stories, because it's keeping people away from North Dakota so it's not being overrun. So, if you have horror stories, keep spreading them. It'll keep North Dakota the way it is now.
Another really awesome thing is: there are so many LDS people moving here. There was only a branch of 30 people in Dickinson 2 years ago. Now, there are over 700 people in our ward, with about half of them being active every week. There is such an influx of people that they're having to add onto the church, and they're going to split the ward soon. Right now, we meet at the Ramada Inn, and we fill a huge conference room. There's so many young families with children, that Hesston is in heaven. During relief society, they chase each other around the room and play with each other's toys. Hesston goes from mom to mom to get treats (he's such a Garling). He has to sample a treat from every mom, which they do willingly because he's so darn cute, before he moves on to the next mom. It's hilarious. But, it keeps him happy, and the other kids don't seem to mind sharing their food, so it's all good.
Hesston started walking all on his own a week after we moved here, and it's been a blast ever since. Ted says that Hesston was waiting to be with Daddy before he walked. I agree, because he usually achieves milestones when Ted is around. I love every stage he goes through and this is another great experience.
I love being a mom and wife so much! I feel very blessed to be with my husband who has a good job in these trying times. I am so blessed...my heart is full of happiness like it's never been before. God is so good. He loves us and cares about us. I know that to be true, because I've seen His hand in our lives. Looking back, we can see how this journey to North Dakota started 5 years ago when we sold our cell phone accessory store in Pocatello. We had no idea where we were going, or what we should do, but God knew. He had a plan. Even though that plan hasn't been smooth and straight, it's been worth it. All the rocks, stumbling blocks, rivers and oceans we've went through, and bumps and bruises we've aquired along the way have only made us stronger as a family. I wouldn't take a single day back. It's all been worth it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kaylee, I really enjoyed the read and with my wife and daughter back in Idaho, I'm sure she would relate to similar struggles. I met Ted at a recertification training for MBI about six months ago, quite the peraonality. ...all good! Wishing you and your family all the best and say hellow to Ted.

Gary Hamilton
MBI/ Conoco Phillips Safety