Now that I am working on the farm, I get dirty! And I do mean DIRTY!!! So, I have been picking rock on the farm with Morgan (she is such a good sport and keeps a positive attitude). I am not so happy about the whole picking rock thing. I mean, there are so many rocks that you cannot get all of them, and we are trying to hurry so that my mom can disc and my brother can plant. I literally have countless bruises on my legs, blisters on my feet, and sore muscles like never before! I have such great empathy for all the people who have to do this job every year! So, Morgan and I have tried to keep ourselves from going insane out there, and we came up with another verse to "If you could hie to Kolob". It is..."There is no end to rocks"... repeated several times. Also, we have decided that the rocks are Mormons. They multiply and replenish the earth more than anything else in the world. Seriously though, we think that rocks do have babies, because there will be a big one and then tons of little ones and a few medium ones all around it. Anyway, when I signed up to help on the farm, I thought I was going to be running errands and fixing lunches (you know, doing the jobs that a woman should do on a farm), but I am telling you, picking rock is the worst job you could have...aside from hoeing beets. I honestly would rather move pipe all day! Now that's saying a lot. Anyway, I should quit going off about the rocks.
This week, I have had a lot of evening activities, like a ward party, two ESL classes, and tomorrow night baptisms for the dead with Ted's family, so what I have done is, work hard all day in the fields, then rush home and shower and get ready for these activities. This has been repeated day after day. So I get dirty, (because the wind blows so much out here, I even get dirt in my hair and ears...yuck! ) then, I get clean, then dirty, then clean...and so on...you get the picture. I cannot believe how good a shower feels to get all clean again. I cherish flat ground (the fields are plowed, so really uneven ground), clean clothes, clean hair, carpet, showers, and houses. I have never thought before about what it would be like living without a home, but I think it would be one of the hardest things to do. I appreciate the people who took the farms out here out of desert land (sagebrush, rocks, and grasses) and made it into farm land so much more now. Adam said that they took our farm out of desert only in the 1950's. So, I can only imagine what the hard work would have been like. I should be more thankful for what we have now. Well, I have babbled on long enough about my farming life so far this Spring. I hope to get a little better attitude about all of this dirt sooner than later!
1 comment:
WHoa! Sounds like hard work! Hey- look at the bright side... its probably the best work out you could find. That's good that Morgan and you can spend quality time together too :)
Post a Comment