Last night, Ted and I decided to go to the temple after work. So, we headed down to Mesa, and went through a session. We found out the temple is only about a half hour from where I work. The spirit in the temple is sooo strong. It doesn't matter which one you go to, you will always find peace and comfort within the walls of the temple. As we were leaving, we stepped outside to warm air and stillness. It was such a peaceful night, and we even stopped at McDonald's on the way home to celebrate our outing. That is the first time I have done a session in the Mesa Temple. Ted and I have done baptisms with our neighbors down here once before, but nothing else. Next time we go, I think we are planning on doing sealings. We have lots of family names to do still, so it will be a great excuse to go have a temple date.
On a side note, yesterday I had an LDS bride come into where I work (I Do I Do Bridal), and purchase a wedding dress. Now, this is not my first time having an LDS bride since moving to Arizona, but this girl's story really impressed me, and helped to strengthen my testimony, so I thought I would share.
Her story, we will call her Jennie. So, Jennie is from Seattle, and she moved to Arizona for college. While attending college, she met a young man who seemed to be different from all the other boys she knew. Intrigued by his difference, she started to hang out with him. One thing led to the next, and they became boyfriend, girlfriend. A couple months passed, and the young man, we will call him John, told her about his religion and what some of his beliefs were. Jennie was moved by his strength and faithfulness to his religion while living in a worldly college town, and decided to study this religion for herself.
One day, two young men dressed in black suits and name tags, LDS missionaries, came to her apartment with John, and they had a first discussion. She felt the something deep within her heart, and decided to continue lessons. As the weeks passed, a change occurred in her soul, and she slowly turned her life over to God. The missionaries asked her if she would commit to baptism, and she agreed. Excited about this new journey in life, she called her parents in Washington and told them the news. Instead of excitement, they reacted with anger and resistance. She tried, again and again to approach them about this new religion that had changed her life, but they refused to speak of ,it. When she told them about her decision to be baptised, they threatened to disown her. Knowing the gospel was true, she decided to follow her conviction, and be baptised, hoping the threats her family made would wash away with time. But, they didn't.
After Jennie's baptism, John proposed, and she readily agreed to marry him. This only infuriated Jennie's family more, and they threatened many more times to take everything away from her, which they eventually did. So, two years later, and a firm testimony of the gospel, Jennie and John are getting married in the Seattle Temple, and hoping that Jennie's family will at least attend a luncheon in their honor, since her family refuses to throw a reception.
Now, Jennie has given up pretty much everything for the gospel. Her family, finances, and a lot of love. But, she has gained something even more precious, a fiance that loves her enough to marry her for time and all eternity, with children born into the covenant, she will have them forever as well.
This story tore my heart to pieces as I watched Jennie come to the store with her fiance and pick out a wedding dress. She was a very humble and sweet person, who has been through what most of us could never even imagine. I honestly do not know if I could give up my family for religion.
Jennie's story reminded me of several of my ancestor's stories, where they left everything behind, even their homes, belongings, families, friends, and country, in order to travel to America to be with the Latter-Day Saints.
I am so thankful for my family, friends, and dear husband who support me in everything I do. Thank you for being you! Love you all!
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing that story. It is a good reminder of how lucky we are to belong to such supportive families.
What a story she has. She will be so much stronger for the trials she is going through. I hope her family softens their hearts. Hopefully they will. But what a beautiful Temple. How fun of a date for you two to go on.
Great story! It's so inspiring what the gospel can help us get through. Thanks for sharing, Kaylee! I like keeping up with you through your blog, Arizona sounds fun! :) I look forward to reading your book in the future, too!
Post a Comment