Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Is Your Life Worth Living?


If you were given only one chance at life, what would you do with it?

As this questions worms its way into my brain, I can't help but think that I have been given the most precious gift, which is life itself. So, what am I going to do with my life?

Imagine all of us in heaven, looking down at the world as spirits, waiting and wishing for the day when it would be our turn to prove ourselves before our Lord and God. We cheered on those before us, singing praises to their strength, and mourning with them over loss, trial, and hardships.

At last, our turn arises, and we rejoice at the opportunity to come to earth. Once here, all memory is lost, gone until the next life removes the veil. We are each given different tests, ones that are customized to try us. How will we do? What is your trial? And mine? Is it wishing away my days for something I can't have? Is it wasting my time for things of this world instead of things of the world to come?

When the day of judgement happens, where will I stand? In the shadows, knowing all the things I should've done and didn't do because of selfishness? Or will I have peace in my heart, knowing I did my best and God will make up the rest?

Everyday I thank my parents and ancestors for choosing to be converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. With the gospel, I am so glad to know I have a loving and kind Heavenly Father and Brother. They have given me everything, and a breathtaking world to prove myself in. How will I treat my opportunity in this life? Will I squander away my days? Or will I wake up and do something more?

The song, "Have I Done Any Good In The World Today?" invites me to do more with my life. Will I take the challenge? Will you?

I go to work, do all the things I need to get done, talk to hundreds of people, associate with my fellow employees, and then come home and read a book or research information on the computer, thinking I have thousands of days just like these, all stacked in a nice, neat pile, waiting for me to float through. But do I really? What if I only had one day left to live? Is this the way I would spend it? Have you ever felt that way? Like you could or should be doing more?

Sure, I am already living, but what kind of life? And is that the life I will be most proud to lay at the Saviors feet when we meet again? One moment, one life. That's all I have. And you do too. What will we do?

2 comments:

Valeen said...

Very profound thoughts. Thanks for sharing

the garling ranch said...

It is a constant battle to keep that perspective. You are doing a great job touching lives and setting a great example. Jon is there now!