Thursday, December 4, 2008

How Much???







So, I got this $50 gift certificate to Porter's Crafts, for my birthday, from my mother-in-law. I have been saving it for this time of year, because I really wanted to get some more Christmas decorations. Well, I thought that $50 was a lot of money, and so I decided to go and spend it today. It took me a while to decide on which room I was needing more Christmas Decor in, and then it took me even longer to decide what to do, because there are so many amazing decorations in Porter's. Well, I decided on this amazingly extravagant display that I thought would work well with the colors in the room, and that would make the room look festive. So, I bought pretty much the identical things included in the display. I thought I was doing good, and that I would only spend about $50 above the gift certificate. So, I called it good and headed to the front of the store to be checked out. Well, as I stared setting everything out, I realized I had gotten a lot more than I had noticed before. The sales clerk was scanning all the items into the computer, and I saw the amount go over $100, then $150, then almost to $200. I was shocked, in fact, my mouth literally dropped! There was a huge line behind me by this time, because it took sooo long for her to scan everything and wrap all the glass items in bubble wrap, so I felt like I needed to hurry and just pay for the items and get out of their way. So, I gave her the gift card, which took the total down to like $150, and then she smiled and held out her hand for more money. Reluctantly, I gave her my credit card. Wow! Buyer's guilt swept over me. Look at all that money going to some stupid little decoration that will probably get broken! I could buy so many other Christmas presents with that money, or even food storage! Well, I went ahead and got the stupid stuff anyway. As soon as I got home, I rushed it all into the house, and put it up. I wanted to see how good it looked, so I could convince myself it was worth keeping. Well, I think it looks amazing, and I figured I could use the glass things for other seasonal decorations as well. So, here is my lovely, over priced, collection of new Christmas Decor from Porter's that I should have left in the store. Hope Ted doesn't kill me when he gets home and finds out how much I spent on it! Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Diane said...

I think it looks really good. I know how that feels. That has happened to me so many times. But it always seems to work out. What did Ted say?

Mary Mathews said...

Well if it any account it looks really good! Also you can use the excuse I sometimes use with Deven saying well I can use it more than one time of year and I do not have to buy it more than once because it will last years. In an investment!

Emily said...

Love the story. It looks very nice, too! I totally understand that you felt obligated to just pay for it. Been there, done that!

Sarah said...

Ya that happens sometimes.In fact that same thing happened to Brenton and I the other night at Target! Whoops:)

Anonymous said...

Good thing the stuff you got is SO pretty! :) Your house looks so festive!