Friday, May 1, 2009

CrAzY dAy!

Jake and Melissa's family a couple months ago at Zac's mission farewell (Lauren is the baby on Jake's lap)
On Tuesday night, we got a call from Ted's mom telling us that Jake & Melissa's baby wasn't doing very well, and they were taking her to the hospital. Now, on occasion babies go the hospitals and everything is okay, so we weren't too worried at this point, so we waited for a phone call as to what was going on, and what they had found out. Her symptoms were pretty severe, so the whole family was on pins and needles, waiting to hear what the verdict was. We kept in touch with Ted's mom for a couple more hours, until it was around midnight. Then, we received a phone call from Jake, Ted's brother, that wasn't very comforting.
Their baby, Lauren, was in and out of consciousness, and she was pooping blood. The doctors in Twin Falls couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, so they had to life flight her to Boise. Jake had just driven from Boise to Twin to be with them, and now he had to make the drive back over. Melissa was able to go with Lauren in the flight.
It didn't sound good, so we sprung into action. Anna, Ted's sister who lives in Burley, took care of Jake and Melissa's other three little girls while they were at the hospital. It was late, and she needed to get home to her four little kids. So, Karleen, Ted's mom, decided to drive over from Idaho Falls to take care of the kids for the night. Ted and I felt like we needed to do something, so we decide to go to Boise to be with Jake & Melissa. Any support is needed when something this serious is going on...even just being there helps.
So, at around one in the morning, we started driving to Boise. The drive is about 4 hours, but if you drive fast, you can make it is 3 1/2 hours or less. So, we prayed, and embarked on our journey. I made it to about American Falls, then passed out...late nights are not my forte. I don't know how Ted did it, but we made it to Boise at 4:30 in the morning, driving right to the correct hospital (there are 3 in Boise). Luckily, Karleen also made it to Twin Falls okay.
By the time we got to the hospital, it was a waiting game until around 6:30, when Jake came out and got us.
What had happened was, Lauren's small intestines had folded in on themselves, like folding a sock, which inhibited the flow of anything through them. Just think how painful that would be. So, they had to take her in for surgery, and the three hour wait was unbearable. I literally had to watch TV shows on my laptop to keep myself from crying or going crazy. My last experience in the hospital was not good, and the memories were overwhelming me.
Ted was a huge help with Jake & Melissa. I think that Ted has the gift of mourning with those that mourn, and healing in times of need. He even brought us hot chocolate, and kept the conversation light.
By 9:30, the surgery was over, and the doctor came out to talk to us. Luckily, they were able to leave all the intestine, and were able to fix everything. We thank the Lord for His watchful eye over Lauren.
Ted and I decided to rent a hotel room once we got the news that she was going to be okay, and slept a couple hours. That was nice!!! By the time we got back over to the hospital, Lauren was in a room, Melissa at her side. It is amazing how a child in the hospital can pull at your heart strings. It was all I could do to not cry. We left after an hour to let Jake & Melissa have some time to sleep and be with their baby alone, not to mention we still had a 4 hour drive home.
We were able to meet up with Karleen in Burley, so we could drive her car for her (she was exhausted). She had stopped by to say hi to Anna and Jon after she had handed over Melissa & Jake's kids to Melissa's mom to take to Boise. Just so you know how amazing Karleen is, while she was at Jake and Melissa's house, she cleaned their carpets for them, and she got only 2 hours of sleep the night before. I don't know if it was to keep her busy while she was worrying about Lauren, but what a sweet thing to do. Luckily, everything on our end turned out well.
We hope and pray everything will continue to go okay with Lauren. She is only 6 months old, and a surgery like this at such a young age is traumatic. Please, include her, and Jake & Melissa in your prayers for us. Thank you! We love you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How scary! I can't even imagine what that would be like, I'm glad to hear that she's ok!

Miriam Lusk said...

As a Mom I just cringe at the thought of something like that happening to one of my babies. The "scary" time happens to every Mom, its just a matter of when. And I used to wonder why my Mom was always such a worrier. haha. Glad little one is ok though. Give them our love.

Anonymous said...

That is sooo scary. I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for little Lauren. I'm sure that Ted learned his gift of mourning from his mom. I remember when my grandfather was in the hospital dying that Ted's mom was one of his nurses. She was so kind, yet didn't sugar coat anything which really helped me through the whole thing. I hope that things continue to go well.

Sarah said...

How scary! I'm glad everything turned out well for them!!

Rachel said...

I heard about this with little Lauren. I hope that she continues to heal, it is a good thing that we have family's to help us get through the tough times. We will keep her in our prayers.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness. What a relief that she is okay. On a much happier note, you are going to Hawaii?! That is so exciting! And congrats on going back to school. I hope that it works out good for you!