Thursday, July 2, 2009

Remember...


As the 4th of July nears, my mind wanders back to my youth. Firstly, I think about my family, and the many memories we have shared on this special day. The 4th of July is my Grandpa Hancock's Birthday, and when I was a little girl, I always wished I could have fireworks on my birthday too.
I think about the several times I rode my buckskin mare, Cactus, down Washington Blvd in the annual 4th of July Parade for North Ogden, Utah.
I think of the beautiful fireworks that came from Weber High School as we watched from our front porch.
I think of my many friends, Sarah, Clint, Jake, Mandee, Alyssa, Kyle, Jordan, and so many more as we went to the North Ogden Park to celebrate the day with the rest of North Ogden.
Then, I think of my older days, moving to Idaho and working on the farm the whole day, almost forgetting it is a holiday, except for the fireworks that can barely be seen from our house in the country at night.
Then, I think of my college days, taking trips to Utah to be with friends and family to celebrate the day.
And, lately, I think of my husband, Ted, and our friends and families, and the three years we have spent together under the fireworks of Melaleuca, along the banks of the Snake River in Idaho Falls.
It makes me marvel at the growth and change that has happened in my life. It also makes me remember the good old days of youth when there were only worries about which boy talked to me at school; instead of, how are we going to pay the bills? I am so thankful for everything that has happened to me in my life, good and bad. I am also excited for the future, and the things which are about to take place in all of our lives.
In church on Sunday, we had an amazing program that the choir did. Luckily, I was part of the choir, along with my mom, Ted, and my brother Adam. It is truly amazing how the spirit of Christ comes when you participate in uplifting and important events. The choir director had prepared the presentation well, and each one of us read from an amazing talk by President Ezra Taft Benson, along with music and singing. The music brought the spirit very powerfully into the meeting hall from the beginning, and then the powerful words that were respoken of President Benson touched my heart and shook my soul.
I would like to share the words that were spoken. So, I have copied a link to the talk by President Benson. PLEASE, take the TIME to READ and PONDER it SLOWLY. Don't miss this opportunity to be guided and led by the spirit and one of our modern day prophets. This is a talk you will need to sit down and take your time in reading. Maybe read it Sunday Night, or even Monday Night for Family Home Evening so you can discuss what is being taught. I would suggest reading it before the 4th of July, because then, Indenpendence Day will mean so much more to you. And, as you sit and watch the fireworks booming overhead, you can remember the words of our forefathers, and commit yourself in that moment to reuphold the values this nation and country were built upon. We need to educate ourselves and understand what rights we, as a FREE people of America, have. Freedom was so important to our forefathers, that they gave up their own lives for it. Should we not do the same?
These are truly inspired words, and we should feel lucky to be given them to read. PLEASE, click on the link below, and read the talk by President Ezra Taft Benson. I hope everyone will actually read and think about what is being said. It has changed my life! And I hope it will change yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, I read it and then shared it with Paul and it helped us have a better perspective this year! :)