Friday, July 31, 2009

Riding High

My mom with Missy and Stetson after our ride on the desert today.


Me with Stetson and Missy


Out on the desert after the long ride. We estimated that our ride was about 6-8 miles, and lasted about 4-5 hours.
Me on Missy


My mom on Stetson




Since we are between hay crops, and a couple weeks before we start harvesting grain, my mom and I have been able to get some "girl" time in. The last two days we have gone horseback riding out on the desert. It is perfect weather up here to go riding, and the desert is so vast you can get lost. Today we saw elk, deer, and antelope out on the desert as we were riding. Along with the extra time to ride, we have been able to pick peas and beans out of the garden in the early morning hours while it is still cool, then blanch, freeze, and bottle them. When Ted and I were in Utah on Tuesday, we picked up some apricots, and my mom and I juiced, then jellied them today. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. Now I know why girls need to stay close to their moms...so they can learn all the good tricks with canning, making jams, and freezing vegies. So, as you can tell, my last couple days have been extremely fun and full of activity. Whenever I am around my mom, there is always something to do...no joke. I love it!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous! I miss those kinds of rides. That's the best way to spend good quality time with parents!

Katie and Dennis said...

You are so blessed with such a wonderful mother. And she is blessed with a wonderful daughter. What could be better?