Sunday, September 19, 2010

Things Happen...

For a reason. This is something I am constantly telling myself and those around me. I don't know if it is because it gives us reassurance that everything is going to be okay in the end, or if it is just faith. But, this simple little phrase holds more than water. So, when life is going crazy, or if it feels like it has turned upside down, remember that things happen for a reason, and everything will be okay in the end. Have a little faith, say a little prayer, and then take another little step forward.
As I watch the news, and get updates on my computer, it can be extremely depressing to see the disasters in the world. I feel like I get bombarded with sad information...someone died here, another person lost their home somewhere else, and a big storm is about to hit a big city. I don't know if it is because I am older and actually pay attention to what is going on around me, or if things really are getting worse, but it feels like there is always something wrong or bad going on. If it isn't our economy failing, it is a hurricane. If it isn't a hurricane, it is a fire. If it isn't a fire, it is a huge wreck.
Why do bad things happen? And how do we get past them? I guess the answer is different for everyone. We all choose how we react to outside influences and negative things that happen to us. We all have our own challenges custom made. It is how we deal with those challenges that make us who we are, and what we can become. As long as we choose the Lord, we will be taken care of. Now, I am not saying our challenges will end, in fact, a lot of times they get worse, but we will know that someone is by our side, and we can lean on Christ to help us.
I often like to reflect on the promise: Be prepared and ye shall not fear. I guess the best way to prepare for life's challenges is to live every day to our best ability, like every day is our last day here on the earth. Then, we will be prepared for whatever comes our way, and our future will be much brighter, whether it is in this life or the next.
One example, to me, who lived life prepared is my father. Since he thought ahead of today, on to tomorrow, and twenty years down the road, he secured a good occupation for my mother and my brother in Idaho (and me if I chose it), that will help them to survive without him. He also left a nice inheritance for my eight other brothers and sisters in Utah. Not one day went by that he didn't sacrifice for all of us kids. He didn't leave us burdened in debt because he wanted to travel, or enjoy life's pleasures. And, the sacrifices he made in his life for my family, is now paying off, and will continue to pay off for years. I think that so many of us get caught up in the day to day trivial problems and our immediate wants. It burdens us with debt, guilt, and instability. But, what about our future? And our children's future? And our grand children's future? Shouldn't we prepare a future for them that is better than ours? And how do we do that? From today on out, I am starting to think about the future, not the present, or the past. I plan on focusing my energy on what I can do for others, not myself. If we truly are blessed for serving others, then why don't we do more of it?
And what are you going to do different today than you did yesterday? Are you going to go out and spend your last dollar on something you want in a moment of lust? Or are you going to save it? Or donate it to a good cause? And what are you going to do with the bad things that happen in life? If things really do happen for a reason, then what is the Lord trying to tell us? If we don't listen to the Lord tapping us on the shoulder, He may just give us a swift kick in the butt. I don't know about you, but I would rather have the tap on the shoulder. Make the right choice, because what you choose today will change your tomorrow.

1 comment:

the garling ranch said...

Thaat was really a neat composition Kaylee. You have some really good points.
How is the new job going?