Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lumberjack

Here is some wood out by some of our grain bins. I think that this pile we are going to leave for Adam and Morgan to build a corral for their little calf, Fern.
Ted's little brother Jon is an avid photographer, and so he was trying to get the best shots out on the farm. He decided to climb up to the top of one of our grain bins, so I decided to snap a pic of him while he was in his own realm.


Here is Ted in his pickup with Zac and the dogs hitching a ride in the back. Ted's dad is letting us borrow a trailer from him so we can collect wood. I thought that was really nice of him.



I found these old tires out there and had to take a picture. There is an old grain auger in the background.




Here is some of the old corral wood that we found out there. There are tons of nails, so you have to be really careful where you drive or you can get a flat tire.





Ted is all about being completely self-sufficient, which is great in my mind, because that means no more propane and power bills. Anyway, he bought this really nice wood burning stove insert for our house this last year, and now he is going out and finding wood to store for the winter. He got this permit to go up into the mountains and get the dead trees and cut them up and haul them out for fire wood, which is nice. We also found some old corrals out on our farm that we are now collecting and bringing in to use for firewood. I have decided that it is best to just go out and find your own wood to burn. Last year, we drove up to Rigby to get wood from the Yellowstone Building place, but it is much more fun going "wood hunting". Plus, you get more of an adventure! The only down-fall to it is, Ted is extremely allergic to sagebrush, we found out. So, he gets way sick with his allergies, which is no fun at all. Ted's brothers, Zac and Jon, came out and helped us collect the wood.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ted's brother must have a major love for photography! i couldn't climb that even if I had too! I love your new layout!!

Miriam Lusk said...

cool tire shot. Love the new look of your blog too. it totally fits since a lot of your posts are about farming and its kind of rustic and country-chic. Love it!