Monday, November 3, 2008

Plowing Season

We have to use our biggest tractor to plow up the fields. Plowing is quite the process, as all farm work is. My mom says that this is her hardest job with a tractor so far though. She says she doesn't even turn on her radio she has so much to pay attention to. You have to be really careful not to hit any rock that could break your plow. We have a lot of lava rock out here, and there are solid lava flows under the dirt that you can hit, and it can break your equipment really easily. The other night, after dark, my mom just started plowing after she was done doing her chores, and she couldn't see a solid lava flow that was buried just beneath the surface of the dirt. She hit the lava flow and it stopped her in her tracks, and killed the engine on the tractor. To kill the engine on the tractor takes a lot of resistance, so that is how we knew it was solid lava flow. It actually bent the first two plow sheers, so now we have to get our plow fixed. I swear, if it isn't one thing going wrong on a farm, it is another. Farm work if by far the most challenging work anyone could ever do.
Here is my mom finishing up a pass through the field with the plow the other night.

The plow is a six bottom plow. It gets quite a bit of ground dug up in one pass, which is nice, because you can move along a lot faster through the field. We also have a four bottom plow, and Adam is using it on another field. We are trying to hurry and get our fields plowed up before it gets too cold and wet. We actually got rain yesterday, so now we have to wait until the ground dries, before we can go out and plow again. Then, if it gets too cold and the ground freezes, we cannot plow at all, and we will be done for the winter. We really want to get our fields plowed this fall, so that we can just start planting next spring. It makes spring work go a lot smoother if you have all your plowing done in the fall.

Here is the field that we have been working on. As you can see in the background, the field is all dug up. Also, there is some grain that didn't get harvested, so I figured it would make a good addition to the picture.


Thank you to everyone who suggested things to do while I was sick. I am going to check out the Twilight Series that Tasha suggested. I have heard they were awesome books, so I will have to dig into them this fall. So, thank you everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh YES, you HAVE to read twilight. I read the first 3 books in 2 weeks. And as soon as the 4th came out I ate it all up in no time.
Let me know your thoughts on it when you finish the 1st one.
V

Sarah said...

I bet you're mom's kind of looking forward to winter for a break! What a woman she is!

Katie and Dennis said...

Kaylee, I missed you at church Sunday! I hope you are feeling better!

Hey, I have the Twilight series and can loan you the first one if you want it. I have the whole set and you are welcome to it! They are all so good! I'm sure you would have to wait awhile to get them from the library.

I am slow getting to blogs this week and enjoyed reading all of your new stuff! I will do your one word tag sometime. Thanks! It's always fun to do tags.

Mary Mathews said...

I am super suprised there is NO snow on the ground yet. I also can not even think about the cold. As soon as it is 60 degrees here I need a jacket. Also your mom is amazing. I couldn't even think of how to drive a tractor. Well I hope you guys are doing good!