Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Blessings of Living in the Country (you get to grow your own food, and get to see the sunset every night)

These are some of the peas we have gotten out of our garden. We still have a couple more pickings before they are done. We still have tons more beans coming too. We just got our first zucchini and my mom made delicious zucchini bread (yum)! The garden is doing great this year! I am so excited to keep having the fresh produce that we have grown!
My mom and her Recon 4-Wheeler (as you can see, the wind was blowing way bad after the storm passed)

The sunset


The rainbow



Ted and me with the sunset and the beautiful rainbow that showed up after the rainstorm




I thought this sunset was amazing with the equipment in the picture




Yesterday, we were really busy with trying to get the combine ready for harvest this coming week. What you have to do is grease it, oil it, and put chain lube on the chains. There is so many places to grease!!! We used the owner's manual to find all the places to grease and oil it...there were so many that were hidden and it took us about 2-3 hours to get it all finished up. It is the first time that Adam and I have worked together on servicing equipment, and it was a lot of fun! You learn how to work together really well, really quickly. Now we are going to be starting harvest, so it is good-bye to everyone for the next month and a half to two months...so sorry if I don't keep in touch very well for the next little while. I think that wheat harvest will take 2-3 weeks and then we go right back into our 3rd crop of hay harvest. We also got a rain storm that came in right before the sunset and it made for a breathtaking sunset, as you can see. The rainbow was a bonus too!






6 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

What beautiful pictures!! I love the one with the rainbow. I never think to take pictures of the sunset and I totally should since we get so many pretty ones out here in the desert:) I wish we had a garden...Maybe I'll plant one next year but I don't know what season to do it in because they are so different here! Good luck with the harvesting and be safe:)

Katie and Dennis said...

I did peas today too! Yummy! The sunsets are truly spectacular here! Good luck with harvest! Can't believe that it is here already. I'll see you at church!

Emily said...

Those sunset pix are beautiful! Makes me miss Idaho sooo much. You two are such a cute couple and your veggies sure look tasty!

Miriam Lusk said...

yummy peas! I love fresh ones. The pictures are so beautiful too. The picture of your mom is so funny. I love that lady.

Pam Ahlmer said...

What beautiful pictures of your veggies, the sunset, the rainbow, your sweet Mom, Adam & Morgan, and you & Ted. I can smell the rain in the wind! It makes me so homesick for good country living!