Saturday, October 11, 2008

First Snow

Looking out the front of our home towards the driveway. The wind is blowing so hard from the North, and it is freezing out there!
Looking South from the front of our house. I think that the storm system is coming from the North, because it is snowing and blowing from the North. Usually, the storms come from the South West.

Out the back of our house as the storm rips through our yard.


This is one of the original pieces to the home we live in. We seriously love it, because it is so unique. It is located in the back of our home, in the living room/den area. It is a wall-mounted propane stove/heater. We had the furnace man, Alan, come out yesterday and fix everything up before it got too cold and the storms hit. So, while he was here checking out water heater and fixing up our furnace, I had him check out our old heater. He got it all tuned up and running again for us. I am so excited! He said that he has a newer more efficient one at his shop if we want it, but I think that we will keep this old classic as long as it lives!



Here is an up close shot of our heater. You can see the propane. Let me tell you, for an old heater, it can really heat! I turned it on for about ten minutes, and the whole room was extremely toasty! I had to open the window to cool it down a little.




It is sooo cold out here! I cannot believe how we can go from 80 degree temperatures to 20 degree temps in a matter of days! I guess we do live in Idaho, and the weather is always unpredictable. So, today we are getting our first snow storm. It is a good thing because we need the moisture, but it is hard for me to see all my pretty flowers dying and the wind out here is horrendous! I never really knew what "Good Ole Idaho Wind" meant until we moved here. The wind blows so hard out here on the desert. It is completely open country, so there is nothing to stop the wind, so it blows incredibly hard. Today is one of those days where you just hunker down and stay inside. It is way too cold to be outside. There have been a lot of farmers out here trying to finish up with potato and beet harvest. This cold weather will not help them. In fact, I think most of them are taking the day off. It is supposed to warm up to the 60's again this next week, which is good, because then the farmers can continue their harvest.

No comments: