Friday, October 17, 2008

Got Mold???

Here is one pretty picture I had to add in (you will understand why as you look at the other not so pretty pictures of our basement. They are all kind of spooky). It is the sunset last night, looking over our farm.
As you can see, a little part of the basement is cemented, so we have some shelves there for food storage. As you can see, there isn't very much. I guess we had best get started on our food storage soon with all the prices going sky high!!!

This is the smallest part of the basement. There is a small crawl space to the back of our house pictured here. I would hate to be a plumber and have to get all the way back in there to work on the pipes. Okay, this is kind of creepy too, but when I was down there taking these pictures, I could hear something digging at the walls or something. I think it was a mouse, but it was still kind of frightening.


It would be such a nice big basement if it was all finished. I don't think it will ever actually get finished though, because it would be too expensive and too much work. We would have to haul down the cement by hand! The house also had a lot of work done by the previous owner, not by professionals. So a lot of it doesn't make sense and we would have to redo a lot of his work that isn't very efficient. You can kind of see from this picture what I am taking about. Basically, if we have an earthquake, this house is going down...fast.



Okay, so you know how my last post was all about the whole mold thing, well, we got it all done and finished up yesterday. Yeah!!! They sprayed for mold with a couple different strong smelling chemicals, they redid our insulation, and they put down this black tarp you see on the ground to keep the moisture from coming up into the house from the ground. It is usually completely open ground down there. The only small problem that we didn't know about was how BAD it was going to smell in our house! It smells like Clorox and Chlorine mixed together in full strength. So like a swimming pool, but a thousand times more smelly. I swear, if we would've known it was going to stink this bad, we would've done it in the summer so we could air our the house. We had to move in with my mom for the last couple days, because the smell was too bad to stay at our own home. Today, it is about 60 degrees, so I am leaving the windows open all day. I am hoping we can sleep here tonight. I am so glad that my mom only lives a couple miles away so we can stay so close to home when we need to. I should have taken some before and after pictures, but I only took some after pictures today. It looks a lot better than it did, but I still think it is kind of spooky down there. I have never been one for basements. Well, we are glad that this whole process is over, and pray that the stinkiness goes away soon! :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That totally sucks that it smells so bad! It does look better! I remember when you were still in high school we attempted to go down there but didn't get far before we got scared and ran back upstairs! We did get far enough down though that I got a good glimpse of it. It is a much bigger space than a thought it was.

Katie and Dennis said...

Wow! Your basement could be an awesome storage room. I hope it gets smelling better soon!

I just noticed you tagged me! Sorry I'm so slow! Thanks, sounds like fun. I will have to go see what I come up with.